i found this gem on pinterest (from a beautiful mess) about a month ago and knew i wanted to make it for at least one of the amazing people in my life for the holidays. i ended up only making one, for the boy, and i seriously couldn't believe how easy it was and how awesome the finished product looked. with only a few supplies and about 10 hours, you can make a vintage-y looking photo canvas for yourself or anyone else you love!
adapted from a beautiful mess
what you'll need:
1 stretched canvas (i chose 8x10)
gel medium (i used mod podge)
a spray bottle filled with water
a laser copy of the photo you'd like to transfer (that basically means a copy you make with an industrial size printer, like at kinko's or your office at work)
*the image will transfer reversed
what you do:
1. completely cover canvas with a heavy coat of gel medium.
2. press the photo copy onto the canvas and let dry for several hours or overnight.
3. after image is completely dry, use a spray bottle to wet the top of the paper.
4. rub the surface with your fingers until pieces of the paper start coming off to reveal the photo. this takes time and can be messy, but be careful to not rub too hard as this can remove the transfer. continue until all the paper is removed and the image is completely visible.
5. cover the canvas with one more coat of gel to seal and protect the image.
here's the one i made!
what i really love about this particular photo canvas tutorial is that the image is imperfect. it gives it a more personal feel and makes it more original. you could use a colored copy of the photo, but i think a black and white or faded version might look cooler :)